How do I clear cookies installed on my computer?
There are two kinds of cookies: regular text browser cookies and flash cookies. To ensure maximum privacy, you should delete both kinds of cookies.
Unfortunately there's no single way to remove cookies since different browsers clear cookies in different ways. This page focuses on Microsoft Edge (formerly Internet Explorer), Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera. If you use a different browser familiarise yourself with it's privacy settings.
Make sure you're using the latest version of your browser so that you benefit from the security updates offered.
Microsoft Edge (formerly Internet Explorer)
- Open Microsoft Edge and click the three dots in the top right-hand corner of the window.
- In the Settings menu, choose Cookies and site permissions.
- Under Cookies and data stored, click on Manage and delete cookies and site data.
- Under Cookies and site data, you'll see a set of three toggles. Below that, click the option to See all cookies and site data.
- You should now see all the websites that stored cookies for you. Click Remove all at the top of this page.
- You'll see a confirmation prompt to Clear site data. Click Clear.
- Click the hamburger icon (three stacked bars) in the top right corner of your Firefox window to open the settings menu.
- Choose Privacy & Security.
- Scroll down to the Cookies and Site Data section.
- Click the Clear Data button.
- Make sure both options, Cookies and Site Data and Cached Web Content, are selected with a checkmark, then click Clear.
- You'll see a confirmation prompt asking if you're sure you want to clear all cookies and site data. Click Clear Now.
- Click the three stacked dots in the top right corner of your Chrome window and open the Settings menu.
- Choose Privacy and security, then select the Clear browsing data option.
- This opens a second window with Basic and Advanced options. You can clear your Chrome cookies on the Basic tab.
- Make sure Time range is set to All time and all three options, Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, and Cached images and files, are checked.
- Click the Clear data button.
- Open Safari, then click Safari in the top left corner of your Mac screen.
- Choose Preferences, then Privacy.
- In the Privacy window, click the button that says Manage Website Data...
- Here you'll see a list of all the websites that stored cookie data. Click the Remove All button at the bottom of the window.
- You'll get a confirmation pop-up window asking if you're sure you want to remove all data. Click Remove Now.
- Go to Settings, then click Advanced.
- Next, click on Privacy and Security.
- Once in the Privacy and Security window, click Clear browsing data...
- Make sure to choose "the beginning of time" in the first drop-down box.
- Check all options, including Browsing history, Download history, Cookies and other site data, Cached images and files, Passwords, Autofill form data, and Third party services data.
- Click the Clear browsing data button.
This information was correct at the time of creation, if in doubt double check the proceedures above. We hope this helps you keep your data private.